Spanish Sauce RecipeThe Spanish sauce is a spicy tomato sauce made with sauteed onions, green peppers, mushrooms and garlic.
NOTE: This recipe calls for 1 quart of the classic tomato sauce, which is one of the five so-called mother sauces of the culinary arts. You could instead use 1 quart of basic tomato pasta sauce, which is easier to make.
Prep Time: 5?minutes
Cook Time: 20?minutes
Total Time: 25?minutes
- 1 quart tomato sauce
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onions
- ? cup diced green pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Tabasco sauce (or another hot pepper sauce), to taste
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, saute the onions, green pepper and garlic until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to saute until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the tomato sauce, bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Season with the salt, pepper and Tabasco and serve right away.